There is a well understood set of processes that contribute to the therapeutic success of CBT. I saw this list and thought I would share it with you.
Borrowed from the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
1. Change your thoughts and you change your behaviour and most importantly how you feel.
2. Homework reinforces and develops the new skills learnt in CBT.
3. Need to pinpoint the problem: You need to understand what you are actually working on.
4. Action: When you take action you get results. When you don't take action nothing much changes.
5. Goals: Setting firm and attractive goals draws you into a better future.
6. Evidence: CBT is the most powerful talking therapy, which is why it is recommended by NICE.
7. View: When you look at things from a different viewpoint you see things differently, and this is powerful.
8. I can do it: Self Help CBT gives you all the tools but without a face to face therapist teaching them to you. You learn by watching, understanding and then acting on your new knowledge.
9. Experience: Test out everything and become curious about what works really well and what works less well. Choose from your own experience.
9. Write things down: keep a notebook and make notes in it. What you thought and then how you felt because of it. Write down the details of your inner life and use them to see how much you have changed.
For the May Bank Holiday weekend. When you join Anxiety Wizard you also get the STOP overthinking challenge Self Help CBT program FREE.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
Learn how your brain tricks you into thinking and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. You won't believe it.